Does the Northern Territory regulate for maintenance and why?

Yes there is a regulation to maintain the Safety Installations within a building however, this is not prescribed directly within the Northern Territory Fire and Emergency Act or Regulations. The Northern Territory variation to Part I of the BCA outlines maintenance to be carried out to the Safety Installations within a building.

What items are regulated for maintenance?

The Safety Installations that are regulated for maintenance are listed in the Northern Territory variation to Part I of the BCA.

What type of buildings is this applied to?

The buildings that are required to be maintained in regards Safety Installations are buildings of Class 2 – 9 as outlined in Part A3.2 of the National Construction Code. This is irrespective of the size of the building.

What is the frequency of maintenance to be adopted for the Safety Installations in my building?

The frequency of maintenance of the Safety Installations is listed in the Northern Territory variation to Part I of the BCA. This Part nominates AS1851 Maintenance of Fire Protection Systems as well as AS2293.2 – 1995 as the prescribe maintenance regimes. Safety Measures in buildings must be maintained in accordance with the requirements of the following Australian Standards:

AS1851.1 1995 Portable Fire Extinguishers
AS1851.2 1995 Fire Hose Reels
AS1851.3 1997 Automatic Fire Sprinkler Systems
AS1851.4 1992 Fire Hydrant Installations
AS1851.5 1981 Automatic Smoke/Heat Venting System
AS1851.6 1997 Management procedures for maintaining the fire precaution systems of air-handling systems
AS1851.7 1984 Fire Resistant Door Sets
AS1851.8 1987 Automatic Fire Detection and Alarm System
AS1851.10 1989 Emergency Warning and Intercommunication System
AS/NZS2293.2 Emergency evacuation lighting for buildings, Part 2 Inspection and Maintenance
How do I maintain the Safety Installations in my building? Is this regulated?

In the Northern Territory the maintenance of Safety Installations is regulated by a frequency of testing and inspection detailed in Part I of the National Construction Code and listed in the previous question. Contractors are engaged by the building owner to undertake maintenance as required.

What is the regulatory approach in Northern Territory?

Fore new building maintenance issues are to be identified on the Occupancy Permit. For new and existing buildings maintenance is required as per the Northern Territory variation to Part I of the BCA. Building owner is to ensure each measure is satisfied. The NTFRS also carry out annual inspections of buildings.

Are the maintenance requirements the same for new and existing buildings?


What are the triggers to apply these provisions to existing buildings?

There are no triggers as such as the requirements apply at all times.

Are there administrative controls for the maintenance of Safety Installations and who is responsible for building maintenance?

No there are currently no administrative controls for maintenance in the Northern Territory. The responsibility for ensuring that maintenance is carried out to a building rests with the building owner.

How often is verification required and who do I provide verification too?

There are currently no administrative controls to provide verification. The NTFRS try to inspect each building on an annual basis to ensure compliance. Currently there is no requirements for annual statement to be developed for a building.

Who is responsible for monitoring and enforcing maintenance?


What penalty provisions can be enforced if my building does not comply?

Building notes and orders may be issued if a building is deemed to be unsafe by the NTFRS. The NTFRS has the power to make orders to fix any non-compliances within a building.

Who is empowered to serve and enforce non-compliance notices and actions?

Building certifiers, the Director of Building Control and the NTFRS.

Once an order or notice has been issued are there any appeal provisions in relation to the compliance, enforcement and penalty requirements?

Yes an appeal may be made to the Northern Territory Building Appeals Board in relation to an order that has been issued.